12.17.2012

Tribute to my sweet Grandma Verda.


...I was reading my grandma's journal today. She passed away when I was in the ninth grade, I miss her more than words can say. I'm so grateful she was so diligent in writing in her journal so she could have something to pass on to her children/grandchildren. I knew she was an incredible woman, but after reading her day-to-day experiences along with her testimony, I know for a fact that my grandma was definitely an angel on earth. One line in her obituary that caught my attention, and one that I haven't ever forgotten, was that she did many temple endowments numbering into the many hundreds during her retirement years. She lived in Grace, Idaho and the closest temple was a little over an hour away. I can't tell you how many journal entries I read that said, "Today I went to the temple." She was always serving, whether in the temple or at home. I want and aspire to be just as my grandma was.
She was witty and had the cutest sense of humor. I remember I was wearing a "Rusty" brand name t-shirt, and my grandma asks, "Laurel, who's Rusty?! Is that your boyfriend?" hahaha I was probably in the 4th grade, tops. "No grandma, it's just the brand of my shirt...." I remember whenever we would spend the weekend at her house, there was ALWAYS food on the stove. She was the best cook. Can we just talk about her creamed corn, homemade strawberry jam & bread, and chicken noodle soup for a sec? TO DIE FOR! And reading in her journal, she would mention that she had been cooking all day knowing that we would be coming over, and she loved doing it. She loved company and someone to visit with.
She would tell me stories of when I was a little girl, I loved that the most. My favorite one was when I was probably two, and I guess I was a really bad kid during church, (who would have thought!?) but every time my dad would take me out of sacrament meeting, I'd yell "Bishop, save me!!!" Or "BYE BISHOP!" and wave. Gall, I was such a cute kid. ;)
I remember the sweet and caring person that my grandma was. Every one knew her and every one loved her. I remember the last words she said to me before she passed away, that I still hold on to. I've had a few very sacred experiences since then where she has been my guardian angel, if you will. And I know that to be true. I remember the song we sang for her
funeral; "How Great Thou Art", which
just so happened to be hymn #86, the age
when she passed away. But how fitting that
song was to her. She was so great.
    I love you Grandma Verda.
God be with you till we meet again!

This is the only picture I could find of my grandma on my computer. But isn't she lovely? Her and my mother. 

No comments: