If you thought my other blogs about my other job (Melaleuca) seemed pretty weird/crappy... oh boy. This job puts the icing on the cake. Terrible.
Story Time: Once upon a time, there lived a girl who had no job, but was desperate. She took the first job she could find as a caregiver. She thought it would be pretty easy taking care of an elderly man with Alzhiemers. Doesn't sound that bad, right? Well, she was in for a treat. After she'd been staying the nights there she'd gotten to be more confortable around this elderly man. Then one day, when Laurel wanted to be left alone to watch an episode or two of The Office, the man said something to her that COMPLETELY changed her, and will continue to haunt her forever. He had the "DTR" talk... Yes folks, Define the Relationship.
The Conversation Goes As Follows:
Evan: I just don't think this can work out. I don't think we're very compatible. I think I'm a little too old for you.
Laurel: Evan.. I am not interested in you. (The lady in charge of the care giving told me I had to stand my ground if he ever said anything like this.. I wasn't going to sit down and giggle when he thought I was actually there to date him.. awkward.)
Evan: Now, I think we both just need to think about this a little bit. The guys back in town told me I need to be careful. They said I need to get to know the girl first, find out what she likes, before I say "I Do."
Laurel: Evan, I have a boyfriend, I don't like you. I'm here to take care of you because it's my job.
Evan: All I'm asking is for you to think about it. We can make it work. I just have to be careful.. The guys back in town.... (he repeats himself regularly).
Laurel: EVAN, I AM NOT HERE TO MARRY YOU. I HAVE A BOYFRIEND.
Evan: Yeah, You have a boyfriend, this is why it probably won't work. But we need to think about it before we rush into things. (He contradicts himself regularly as well..)
Laurel: Evan I'm married. (I gave up.)
Evan: OHHH WELLL I just can't beleive you. You lead me on, I thought you liked me, I thought we had something going, I took care of you. The guys back in town told me to be careful! (wow.. I lead him on? He took care of me? )
Laurel: Evan, it's time for bed.
There ya have it. Evan thought I was here to marry him. It makes sense, why else would a lady be over at his house 24/7, feeding him, getting him into bed, taking him places, and staying the night?! I don't think he's forgotten about it, because its still a little awkward between us, to say the least. I try not to talk to him a lot, for the fact that I might be 'leading him on'. I'll give him a book and let him do his thing.
I've gotta tell ya though, that night when I told him I was married, it was IMPOSSIBLE to get him into bed. He wouldn't let me look through his drawers to get his pajamas, he refused to take his meds, and he wouldn't let me help him get into his pajamas. He slept in his fancy clothes, and needless to say, both him and I got no sleep that night. So I ask, WHY do I always get stuck with these jobs where I have to work with awkward men? Story of my life..
2 comments:
Note to Laurel: he has alzheimers... And it doesn't sound like it's a mild case of it either. Mark will have to give you a little lesson on Alzheimer's patients. And I guarantee Evan doesn't remember that DTR conversation. Mark also said people with Alzheimers repeat themselves (cuz again, they don't remember). He says they really only recall stuff in their old old past. Can ya tell I'm married to a nurse?? I'm sure there is a Sizz in Logan...and I'm sure they're hiring. So you always have that option :)
Haha, that is so funny! Laurel you just need to laugh it off. Like Lachelle said, he has a bad case of Alzheimer's... just humor him! I know how you are and you get pretty uncomfortable in those types of situations but just seriously take it with a grain of salt. Sorry you hate your job though. Maybe Evan is right... your relationship is just not working out! The guys in town.... !!
Post a Comment