"Do you ever do this, you think back on all the times you've had with someone and you just replay it in your head over and over again and you look for those first signs of trouble?"
500 Days of Summer is easily the greatest movie of all time. Don't even try to debate me on that, either.
I'm a little upset though, I feel like the producers should have at least made sure if it was okay with me to use my life story for their movie. A little compensation would have been nice, but I'll let it slide. Even though I should sue for copyright purposes. But seriously, that movie is my love life (or lack thereof), compacted into a 90 minute movie.
For those of you losers (just kidding, not really) who haven't seen it, I'll give you the super condensed version: Boy meets girl. Boy likes girl. Girl flirts, but does mention that she doesn't believe in love and doesn't like relationships and labels. Girl initiates a makeout sesh in the copy room. Boy is infatuated. Girl keeps egging it on. Boy and girl hold hands in IKEA and do a lot of other inappropriate acts of immorality. (which I can't relate to, just for the record..) Girl slowly starts drifting away from boy. Boy doesn't know why. Boy beats up other boy at the bar for hitting on the girl. Girl gets upset and calls things off. Boy gets upset because he thinks they're a couple. Girl comes over to boy's house later that night to apologize. Girl spends the night and every thing is good again. A few weeks pass, and girl has another melt-down at the pancake house, calls things off again. Boy goes through a state of depression and finds himself at the convenience store stocking up on booze and twinkies (R.I.P) to ease the pain. Boy runs into girl after breakup on a train ride to a co-worker's wedding. Girl says hi and invites him to get some coffee with her. Boy agrees. Boy and girl talk, laugh, and joke the entire time. They dance, they hug, and boy thinks that things are back to normal. Girl invites boy to her house party and boy is on top of the world, again.
"Tom walked to her apartment, intoxicated by the promise of the evening. He believed that this time his expectations would align with reality... "Boy goes to the party with the expectation that they're a couple again. Girl is actually engaged to be married to some other guy. Boy sees the ring on her finger and storms out. Boy has a melt-down at work and quits. Boy comes across the (now married) girl at the park one day and they share a heart-to-heart convo. Boy is on his way to an interview. Boy meets another girl, whose name just so happens to be Autumn. (Well played, writers.) Boy probably ends up dating that girl, but the movie ends, so we'll never know.
In summary: It's not the fact that girl never loved boy. It's the fact that she led him on the entire time when she had no intentions of being his girlfriend, and didn't mention anything about being engaged. That's just cruel!
Girl: "We're just friends..."
Boy: NO! Don't pull that with me! This is not how you treat your friends!"
If you didn't catch on, I'm the boy in this story. Except I don't run into attractive members of the opposite sex at job interviews.
Anyway, just thought I'd share that parallel between that movie and my life. Good stuff, love dating. Love it so much. (I'm still unbelievably happy though, don't get me wrong.)
And to end my night, I think I'll watch that movie again for the second time this week and stuff my face with homemade cookie dough truffles.
#stillsingle
#stillsingle
1 comment:
Oh, honey. It is the best movie ever. My whole life I've been Tom, but the last month I realized that I've totally turned into Summer. Minus the finding a new man part... so I feel your pain. I need to go watch it now.
Post a Comment