But I was talking with my grandma the other day, and she was just telling me how different the world is now than what it was like when she was growing up. I'll give you a few examples:
She said that is was unheard of for a woman to initiate ANYTHING with a boy. No phone calls, no asking out on dates (now there's girls choice dances), and I'm pretty sure the girl didn't make the first move. She told me that when she was engaged to grandpa she had to call and tell him something important, so she did. She said after she had called him that her mom was in shock because girls aren't suppose to call boys even if she was engaged! That's so crazy.
She also said that it was improper for someone to say that they were pregnant. I can't remember the proper way you were to release that kind of information, but nobody back then said that they were pregnant. Also crazy.
And last, she said that the language now is so crude. Which I agree with too, that's no surprise. Seriously even in PG-13 movies they throw in the F bomb, and we get a little more immune to hearing that, so now it seems like no big deal.
Well, I just thought I'd share with you what I learned from my grandma. We certainly do live in a different world now, that's for sure.

[my wonderful grandparents]
Picture courtesy of Marcie Moody's Facebook page, I didn't have any pictures of just the two of them.
*I just have to share this one other thing-
I was watching a late Jazz game at their house the other day, and it was about 11:30pm when my grandpa says to my grandma, "Can you fix me up some celery?" It's completely effortless to cut up some celery and serve it, but if my husband were to ask me that so late in the night, I would probably be grumpy and tell him to fix it himself, but instead my sweet grandma says, "Well of course dear!" I think we can all learn a thing or two from her. Isn't she neat?
4 comments:
Ah I love them!
Gotta LOVE Grandpa Val and Grandma Janice!! They're awesome! And I don't know why, but the phrase "fix me up some celery" is making me laugh!
The world has changed. I remember when I was courting your sister and she was so obsessed with me and wouldn't stop calling and texting me. Luckily I thought she was cool and next thing you know we are hitched. It sure is a different world! GO JAZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whatever Mark!! Lachelle was so dang sick of you stalking her she finally submissed and realized that she hated being the old maid of Provo so she just settled!!! Hahahahaha!!! ;)
Yes Laurel a totally different world now. There are things I wish were more like it was back then but I am also glad women don't have to be so damn suppressed and proper all the damn time!! Haha, just wanted to throw in a cuss word for ya!
Love Grandma and Grandpa... we could all learn a thing or two from their relationship! I need to be more loving and kind like Grandma. If JD asked me to fix him up some celery I would ask him if his arms and legs were broken! Maybe that's why he never asks me to fix him up anything.... he pretty much fixes himself whatever and then I complain when I have to clean up his mess in the kitchen afterwards! Haha, I'm a little more serving than that but you get the picture!
Post a Comment